The Old Rugged Cross Historical Museum is an outgrowth of a memorial cross erected and dedicated on September 14, 1954, north of Reed City, Michigan, near the home of Reverend and Mrs. George Bennard.
Reverend Bennard was the author of well-loved hymn “The Old Rugged Cross” written in 1913. The museum presently contains mementos and relics not only from the Bennard home, but also from the original Osceola County Historical Museum, which was opened in downtown Reed City on August 1, 1968. The present museum opened August 19, 1990.
The Old Rugged Cross Historical Museum contains three rooms. The first room is divided into six rooms depicting life in the Reed City area before 1990: dining room, kitchen, parlor, bedroom, office (items from the Reed City businesses), and a clothing room.
The second room contains displays of early farm equipment, Indian artifacts, two early stage curtains (complete with advertising), equipment from the Reed City factory of Michigan Cottage Cheese, an antique fire hose, a 1930’s era fire truck and equipment.
The museum’s third room is devoted to the life, possessions and music of the Reverend George Bennard. It contains furniture, personal items, and music form the Bennard home, which was located on Mackinaw Trail (Old US 131) 4 1⁄2 miles north of US 10.